CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Yesterday

We had a busy day yesterday at the Square--which we couldn't see because the new Russian president was visiting. We got to hear the loud speakers of the Chinese police telling us what to do--rather creepy.
We walked through the Forbidden City, the special place for the Emperors. Red was their special color, as was the number 9. If a common person used either of these, he would be killed.
The architecture was amazing, and it was delightful being there with Dylan and Corinne. Corinne took many, many photographs. (There was an adventure with a memory card, which I'll let her tell you.) The Emperor's Garden was gorgeous, and the only place in the Forbidden City with trees.
Dean and I could hardly believe we were on the Great Wall--I never thought I would be in China, of all places! Dylan and Jake, a father very soon to a nine-month old, took the hard route. Corinne stayed with Deborah, Jake's mom, with whom she's enjoying a great relationship. Dean and I went the easy route. Um, there's no walking the Great Wall. It's all climbing. And if our route was easy, I can't imagine the hard route! (Note to Brent, Eric and Keaton--the Keens are the best shoe for the Great Wall!)
Then Peking Duck. That bird doesn't give up a lot of meat. Good, but by the end of this trip, I will be thinking of one of my daddy's steaks!

1 comments:

Frank said...

I'd rather a hamburger than Peking bones. I'll have a steak waiting for you when you get back.
Love,
Dad